Treatment of osteochondrosis is a long and complicated process. The choice of tactics depends on the severity of the development of the disease, the area of localization of the pathological process and the individual characteristics of the patient. In this situation, both conservative and operative methods can be used.
Basic principles of treatment
If the diagnosis of osteochondrosis is confirmed, then a person needs to be patient - the treatment of this disease will be quite long. Only an integrated approach will speed up this process, but in any case it is impossible to get rid of the disease in 2-4 weeks.
Therapy should be carried out in several phases, and each of them should have a specific goal. The first stage is aimed at eliminating pain. In addition to the fact that anesthetics must be taken, you need to wear a special corset that will help maintain the correct anatomical position of the back. Physiotherapy is also required.
The second stage aims to restore intervertebral discs and prevent the progression of degenerative processes. In this case, exercise therapy, massage, manual therapy, acupuncture, and diet are usually used. All of these measures allow blood circulation and metabolism to normalize, which then helps improve the condition of the intervertebral discs. And before explaining how to treat osteochondrosis, it should be noted that therapy directly depends on the location of the pathological focus.
With the development of osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine, the patient must completely rethink his habits. In order for the therapy prescribed by the doctor to give the desired results, it is necessary to properly dose the loads, alternate walking with rest and sometimes walking with a stick for a while.
The drugs most commonly used in this case are:
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs);
- B vitamins;
Classical massage and acupressure massage, acupuncture, hirudotherapy, physiotherapy and exercise therapy are mandatory.
This type of osteochondrosis is very common. Not only adults suffer from this, but also children. The reason for this is basically the long time spent at the computer and in the textbooks in an unnatural position. And cervical osteochondrosis is the most dangerous, as it often leads to impaired vision and increased intracranial pressure, which leads to severe headaches.
NSAIDs, chondroprotectors and muscle relaxants are used as therapy. In addition, massage of the collar zone, ultrasound, electrophoresis is prescribed. With osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, it is important that the patient maintain correct posture, take breaks from work and warm up briefly.
Acupuncture and acupressure are also often used to treat the disease. Often, herbal supplements are also prescribed that help improve metabolism and the work of small vessels, suppress inflammation, which has a positive effect not only on the well-being of a person, but also on the condition of the entire musculoskeletal system.
In lumbar osteochondrosis, the dosage of loads is an important point. The patient should not spend much time on their feet or sitting. He needs more to be in a horizontal position. You must also wear an orthopedic corset.
In this case, drugs, NSAIDs, chondroprotectors, B vitamins and muscle relaxants are also used. Sometimes glucocorticosteroids and external agents (ointments, gels) can be prescribed to relieve pain.
In addition, massage, mud applications, electrophoresis, heating, acupuncture are used.
Osteochondrosis is treated with a whole group of drugs, the action of which is aimed at normalizing natural processes in the body. They are prescribed for the development of an acute form of the disease and they perform several tasks:
- reduces the pain syndrome;
- stop inflammatory reactions;
- normalizes the metabolism;
- improves blood circulation in the affected areas; Restore cartilage tissue;
- restores mobility in the joints of the spine;
- eliminates depression, which is common in patients with constant pain.
Treatment of osteochondrosis involves the use of drugs from different pharmacological groups:
NSAID.The main action is aimed at stopping inflammatory processes and relieving pain.
Analgesics, anesthetics.Helps with pain relief. Vasodilators. Provide improved tissue nutrition and accelerate their regeneration.
glucocorticosteroids.Mandatory when NSAIDs don't work well. They have powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
muscle relaxants.Soothes and relaxes the muscles, which also helps relieve pain.
chondroprotectors.Strengthen the joints of the spine and prevent the destruction of the tissue.
sedative.Helps with depression, improves sleep quality, increases stress resistance and stabilizes the emotional state.
vitamins.They restore the sensitivity of the affected nerve endings and relieve pain.
Despite the fact that osteochondrosis is treated according to a single scheme, the choice of drugs is always individual. It all depends on the general condition of the patient and the severity of the disease.
Complex therapy for osteochondrosis must necessarily include physical exercises that can easily be done at home. Various tilting, twisting, twisting and other movements strengthen the muscles, improve blood circulation and prevent complications.
It is very useful to hang on the crossbar and do yoga exercises that will help stretch the spine. However, before you start teaching, there are a few rules to follow:
- You need to start with a warm up to warm up the muscles and avoid injury.
- Twisting should not be done when there is acute pain in the spine.
- Jumping and running should be excluded. It is better to replace them with swimming, skiing and walking.
- If the pathological focus is localized in the cervical spine, circular head rotations are contraindicated.
- courses must take place at least three times a week.
With cervical osteochondrosis, the following exercises are recommended (10 times each):
- A chair is required. You need to sit on it and straighten your back. Rotate the head evenly (fuzzy! ) Alternately, first to the right, then to the left.
- The original position does not change. Place your right palm on your right cheek. With a slight emphasis, the head is slowly tilted to the left. Then the exercise is done in the other direction, changing the right hand to the left (it is placed on the left cheek).
- When you sit in a straight-backed chair, you need to put your hands on the back of your head and gently lean forward. You should tilt your head until your chin touches your chest. Muscle tension should be felt.
- And if you are also sitting in a chair, you need to grab it with your hands (back) while slowly lowering your head backwards while spreading your shoulder blades. Then you need to return to the starting position.
- In a sitting position, you should raise your shoulders, trying to reach them with your earlobes, and then lower your shoulders.
For lumbar osteochondrosis, you can do the following exercises (performed 5-10 times):
- Lie on your back, raise your arms, and stretch your toes down.
- Lie on your back, bend your legs at the knees and stretch your arms to the side. When you breathe in, raise your pelvis; when you breathe out, lower it.
- Lie on your back, bend your knees, pull them towards your chest and wrap your arms around yourself. As you exhale, try to reach your chin up to your knees.
Although these complexes are easy to carry out, they can only be carried out with the approval of the attending physician. It is necessary to understand that each case is individual, and with some disorders of the body, even simple and harmless, exercise may at first glance be harmful to health.
Talking about the treatment of osteochondrosis, it is necessary to talk about folk remedies. They don't help completely cure the disease, but they also help reduce inflammation and pain. However, before starting therapy at home, it is imperative to consult a doctor.
It should be noted that alternative medicine is most effective for chondrosis. These are the initial stages of osteochondrosis, in which deformity of the spine and the formation of osteophytes are not yet observed. And if the chondrosis begins to heal on time, at least at home, with the help of various rubs and lotions, the risk of osteochondrosis and complications will significantly decrease.
The following recipes are best for treating chondrosis and back osteochondrosis at home:
- Horseradish compress. It has warming, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. Perfectly removes signs of the diseaseTake horseradish root and an apple, rub on a fine grater. Juice is pressed from the resulting pulp and a cake is formed. It is placed on the inflamed area, covered with polyethylene on top and wrapped in a warm cloth. The compress is placed daily at night until the pain goes away.
- The tincture of cinquefoil and cinquefoil also has pronounced anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. For production, 200 g of crushed saber root and 100 g of potentilla are removed. They are mixed and poured into 1 liter of vodka. The mixture is infused in a dark place for 3 weeks, and then filtered. Take 1 tbsp. l. 3 times a day before meals. The duration of treatment is 1 month.
- Applications with aloe. Before proceeding to the main treatment, you must first prepare the tincture. To do this, take 100 g of honey, 50 g of aloe leaves (they are twisted through a meat grinder) and 100 ml of vodka. The ingredients are mixed in a clean container and kept in a dark place for 1 week. Once the tincture is ready, you can start applying it. To do this, in the prepared solution you need to moisten a piece of natural tissue and apply it to the inflamed area. A warm bandage must be applied above. Keep the application for 30-40 minutes. The procedures are performed twice a day until the pain disappears completely.
- Rub with homemade ointment. Take 1 teaspoon for preparation. Juniper needles, 6 tsp. chopped bay leaves, 12 teaspoons butter (pre-melted in a water bath). The ingredients are mixed smoothly and placed in the refrigerator so that the mixture has the consistency of an ointment. It is applied to the damaged areas twice a day with light rubbing movements. Grinding is recommended for 3-5 minutes.
- medicinal bath. Relieves emotional and muscle tension and relieves pain. 250-300 g of a vegetable mixture of field needles, chamomile, lemon balm, string, thyme and thyme are taken for production (herbs are taken in equal proportions). The composition is poured into 5 liters of water and boiled for 20 minutes. After that, the broth is filtered and added to the prepared warm water. It is recommended that you take a bath within 10-15 minutes of bedtime.
If we talk about how to cure osteochondrosis, it should be remembered that, unfortunately, conservative methods do not always give a positive dynamic, and in some situations it is necessary to resort to surgical intervention.
The indications for them are:
- a sharp narrowing of the intervertebral space, followed by a compression of the spinal canal by crumbling discs;
- Cauda Equina Syndrome as a result of a large hernia of the lumbar spine;
- progressive weakness and loss of sensitivity of the leg muscles, as well as dysfunction of the internal organs;
- high risk of paralysis;
- complicated cervical osteochondrosis that threatens the development of a stroke.
Surgical interventions are carried out in different ways:
- Discectomy - represents a partial or complete removal of the damaged disc;
- foraminotomy - artificial expansion of nerve canals narrowed due to hernia;
- Laminotomy - during this operation, yellow bone ligaments and pieces of bone tissue are removed (most often this method is combined with laminoplasty, during which the lumen of the spinal canal is widened);
- Laser vaporization of the nucleus of the intervertebral disc - during such an operation, the intervertebral disc is fragmented with an LED;
- Laminectomy - removal of a significant part of the spine while rigidly fixing adjacent vertebrae.
The choice of operation is also determined individually. In this case, several factors are taken into account: the severity of the course of the disease, the area of pathological focus, the characteristics of the patient, his age.
It should be noted that after the operation there is no guarantee of a 100% absence of osteochondrosis in the future. And if you answer the question, can this disease be cured, then it should be said that no. Unfortunately, it doesn't respond to therapy. And even surgical intervention cannot completely rid a person of this disease. The risk of recurrence is high.
Osteochondrosis is a serious disease. An integrated approach is required to prevent the progression and occurrence of complications. The patient should dose loads, engage in exercise therapy and follow all the doctor's recommendations.
What to do now
Statistics show that over 45% of those over 35 years of age suffer from joint diseases! Everything starts small: somewhere they overwhelmed themselves, somewhere they lifted weights, somewhere they just blown their necks. The joint is designed so that the main problems begin with inflammation of the synovial fluid, softening of the cartilage and, as a result, disability.
One important thing to keep in mind: Joint diseases will get you to a wheelchair in less than 3 years! If you are overweight, the disease is many times faster, as in this case the joints are put under double stress.